This is the third log entry for my weight-tracking project and the work covered today happened over multiple days. I added a graph of the weight entries and moved away from django to flask.
Period 3 Task 1 (P3T1) - Adding a graph
Seeing the progress of my weight-change journey at-a-glance was a must for me and so a graph was required because it makes seeing the trend over time much simpler. I had already added a chart recently to another project and went with the same library and usage pattern. A simple chart of weight-entries against the date of measurement was all I needed. Screenshots of the results follow:
The website with no data added.
The website with a few weight entries.
P3T2 - Moving from django to flask
My initial reasoning to go with django was because I wanted to learn a Python backend framework, but with how much different types of code-bases I was seeing when looking for “the” code structure for a django project I was getting confused. So rather than burn my efficiency trying to grok just django, I decided to move to a simpler backend framework flask.
wget and then moved it to the static folder and pointed my HTML file to it.
So far I would say that it is much easier to understand how things are happening in Flask than how they were happening in django. I am sure that django is a much more powerful framework but for my use-case, I think flask is more than enough.
Things I learned/solidified today
- Serve static files in flask
- Serve an HTML file as a template in flask
- How to remove dependencies from a Python project